5.4K views

Terminix Insurance Fine Print. The insurance issued by Terminix is called "The Termite Inspection and Protection Plan" but we got scammed by the company. Do not think you are getting termite protection with your annual fee.

A year ago, we signed up for the service and had our house inspected with no findings. Terminix's plan includes an annual inspection, which happened yesterday. This time, the inspector found evidence of termite damage in my house. I mentioned that it was fortunate that we had paid ($335) for the insurance. The tech said that the damage was caused by drywood termites which is not covered by their insurance. They then quoted me $3,000 to tent the house. What is the point of having insurance if it doesn't insure against anything! Terminix has no business ethics.

Before we signed up, sales representative stated that this plan covered termites, never discussing that it only covers one type. He said that it would pay for itself since in our area houses needed to be tented every few years (it is my understanding that tenting is for drywood termites, giving credibility to the belief that all termites were covered). Nowhere on the certificate or receipt does it say that drywood termites are excluded, it is only in the very small print - or on their website it is written in gray font on a gray background.

The plan is called "The Termite Inspection and Protection Plan" not "The Subterranean Termite Inspection and Protection Plan." I didn't even know there were multiple types.

If you are even considering this Terminix plan, be very wary. They are trying to defraud you.

Comments

Stockbridge, Georgia, United States #1277352

I just got my renewal for the new year. I leave in the southeast where dry wood termite is very common and after the company had to pay in 2015 for my termite damage the year that followed the no dry wood termite is included, SPECIFICALLY added.

. Needless to say I just had the Orkin man today. That company has become a scam.

I agree. What are we paying for?

Miami, Florida, United States #1181506

Ditto

Southlake, Texas, United States #1116780

It it were me, I'd contact the Attorney General of the state that you live and file a complaint. With the huge amount of complaints nationwide, this may eventually wind up in a class action suit.

I just found out there are 2 types. I would have been so mad if I would have gotten dry wood termite damage!

We have been paying for ten years and had no idea we were not completely covered. I am looking for new pest control now.

San Francisco, California, United States #564570

***, why don't you read before you sign? The least you could do ask questions, and if you didn't then ask for the money back

to Reader Chesapeake, Virginia, United States #604779

I am sure Reader works for termanix, their employees do resort to name calling when asked simple questions about plans.

to Reader #938378

because when you first find out you have them, it's absolutely overwhelming, and only through reviews like this one, do you even get a glimpse of what's missing. how much do YOU know about termites? when faced with a quick emergency, how comprehensively can YOU think?

to Reader #938381

Why would someone in California check to see if a termite contract only covered subterranean termites? Drywood termites are the norm there.

Wildwood, Florida, United States #421355

I don't have time to retype my entire nightmare scam with Terminix here. But you can read my entire Terminix horror story at

www.scamfound.com

Wildwood, Florida, United States #414348

Numerous Class Action Lawsuits have been filed against Terminix and its parent company Service Master. For details see www.syix.com/emu

lot of problems with all the bait and switch tatics we where personally told by our branch mgr not to say anything about termite policies added into pest services upp's and tipp program etc ,, consumers need to be very cautious of terminix these unethical bussiness practices, occur there on daily basis and they know it from the local offices to corp ! consumers need to bond and file a class action lawsuit to stop this unethical practices they are getting rich off these bogus policies,several states are already pursuing these concerns stay far far far away from these crooks

Texaswow

Dont be thrown by their Terminix cares junk I used to work there too infact as an out bound call agent (telemarketer) they would have me lie to people and tell them their neighbor had termites and they are heading their way they have no ethics or morals. they treat their customers worse than their employees and believe me they treat the employees pretty bad just so you know I didn't get fired I quit do to the lack of ethic.

I was recently \"let go\" last week simply because I didn\'t sell enough. My customers loved me, never rec\'d any complaints, always completed my route 95% or greater, and collected well each month.

But because I didn\'t sell 2-3000$ worth of overpriced and oftentimes totally unnecessery garbage every month they had to let me go. While I did in fact sell (usually at least 500 -1000$/month but sometimes well over the 2000$/month \"goal\"), my numbers apparently weren\'t good enough. Trust me, you are far better off with a locally owned pest company that doesn\'t offer all the other products/services and force their service techs to sell. Or better yet, go to doityourselfpestcontrol.com and you can get the exact same products that I used as a tech.Do the math: On average, the yearly cost for pest control with Terminix is $300.00 (75$ every 3 months).

Go to doit yourselfpestcontrol.com and spend 50-100$ and you will have enough product to last you 2 - 3 years. terminix pest control for 3 years =$900.00doityourselfpestcontrol.com for 3 years = $50-100.00And if you do go with Terminix, pray that your service tech (pmp) actually gives enough of a rat\'s *** to provide a good service, because believe me, plenty of them do not. Just a little information and common sense is all anyone needs to take care of their pest problem. There are plenty of avenues one can use to gain necessary info to treat their home correctly, without having to pay dearly.Obviously I\'m not happy with the way I was let go, but the above points reflect the way I\'ve felt for quite some time.

I was with the company over two years, and I developed a lot of good relationships with many of my customers. I can honestly say that I treated my customers the way I would expect to be treated, and tried to treat their homes like each was my own. In the two + years I was there, I did see a lot of questionable ethics. And nearly all of these situations revolved around money.

Sell, Sell, Sell!!

was the mantra.Do yourself a favor, think twice about dealing with the big companies. Like every other large corporation, it\'s all about the almighty dollar.

I was let go last week simply because I didn't sell enough. My customers loved me, never rec'd any complaints, always completed my route 95% or greater, and collected well each month.

But because I didn't sell 2-3000$ worth of overpriced garbage they had to let me go.

Trust me, you are far better off with a locally owned pest company that doesn't offer all the other products/services. Or better yet, go to doityourselfpestcontrol.com and you can get the exact same products that I used as a tech.

They got me even worse- I'm talking with my attorney. I was aware of the dual plan- for some reason they "forced" me to buy both plans the first year- I'm also not sure why...

They said the first year both plans must be purchased- and the following year I could drop one or the other- I don't see anyone else being told this. Anyway I was on the drywood plan, and the second year I called beacause a contractor told me I had termites. The inspector told me it was probably just ants pushing old termite junk out of the holes from years before and I was fine. He told me when I had termites I would "know it- because the piles would be a foot or two tall- not just the inch or 2 piles I was having everywhere.

This continued for over a year and they came out to look on the annual inspection. The guy literally walked around my house in less than 3 minutes and left saying it was all good. I called and complained- the customer service was bad so I decided not to renew it and go with another company. About 6 months later my house started shifting and none of the internal doors will close now.

Out of curiosity I called Terminix to do an inspection. He looked under my house for nearly 45 minutes and sure enough found some- saying the size of them indicated they were definitely over a year old. Well guess what? I was on a plan back then, and they never looked deep at all.

I have placed calls to the management 4 times the last month- and they simply will not return my call. The damage is accumulating, and Now I will probably sue not only for the tenting- but also the large damage that's been occurring for about 2 years now... What a scam. When it's their responsibility to tent- they barely look - and when it's on my dime they took a deep investigation.

I feel like this is the worst I've ever been ripped off in my life.

Completely unethical- BEWARE

-Terminix- If your still watching here- please call- I certainly can't get anyone else to call any other way... (808) 268-8384

Wyandanch, New York, United States #258964

Dear Steyrippy:

Thank you for posting this concern about your Terminix experience. With your permission, we would like to look into this matter further. Please contact us via email at terminixcares@terminix.com so we can gather additional information related to this issue. We look forward to hearing from you.

Terminix

to Terminix Birmingham, Alabama, United States #1015456

not going to renew my contract.. Terminix went from $85.00 last yr to $170.00 this yr...

This is just to come out and look around and shoot the bull for about 30 min...

My contract only covers a re spray if termites are found (repairs are on my dime).. They can shove this inspection for $170.00