7.8K views

Here is my deal with Terminix. Do not use them. I repeat, Do not use them. I have been dealing with bedbug issues for two months and the Terminix office that took my 1300.00 went out of business and no one wants to honor the warranty of 90 days. Here is the letter I sent them.

Terminix International Company, LP

Executive Services

860 Ridge Lake Boulevard

Memphis, Tennessee 38120

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing this letter to express my extreme dissatisfaction with the services and lack of response that I am receiving from the Terminix organization. I should have been warned when I first engaged the services of Terminix after it took 9 phone calls to the 1-800-Terminix number to have somebody call back to give an estimate on a bedbug problem.

On June 15, 2011, I signed a contract with Terminix for a Bedbug Service Agreement with Susanne Warren of the Vincentown, NJ office of Terminix. She told me I had a minor infestation and it would be handled property. The total cost of the contract was $1337.50, which was paid on June 23, 2011 in full.

One service tech came and did the house in less than three hours. I was told at the time of signing the agreement that the walls would be injected, all outlets would have powder in them, the mattresses would be treated and Rapid Freeze would be applied. I can tell you that no walls were injected and half of the outlets were not dusted.

I had evidence still of an infestation in an upstairs bedroom and on July 7, 2011, the technician came again and sprayed with a sprayer and was out of the house in 25 minutes.

Yet again, I noticed bedbugs and on 7/21/11, the technician sprayed again. This still did not solve the problem and on 8/5/11 they came once again to spray.

I noticed a problem again this week and called the Vincentown office at 609-801-0274. The phone just rang at all hours of the night and day. I called the cell phone of the sales representative, Susanne Warner, and was told that they shut that office down and she would get back to me with another number to call. To this date, I have not heard from her.

I tried to contact you at terminixcares@terminix.com and guess what? Your email address gets returned as nondeliverable and that is right off your website. What is that all about? For a company who prides itself in customer service, you have failed dismally.

Yesterday, I called the 1-800-Terminix number and gave my name and number to Christi and she gave me the number of the Mount Laurel office.

I called that office today and spoke with Ginny who said someone would get back to me shortly to schedule an appointment. No one has called back.

I am still under a warranty and am getting no service and am losing days off my warranty each day that goes by. My warranty should be extended, since you are not providing the services under it. It's evident that your company is failing at the services they are providing and I still have bedbugs after four treatments. I cannot believe that an office goes out of business and does not forward its calls to another office for existing customers they have.

I am putting you on notice that I want this situation handled promptly. I do not feel I have been dealt with properly. I am requesting you rectify this situation or give me my money back.

I am anxiously awaiting your reply.

I hope I hear from them, because I am not a happy customer.

Comments

Greensburg, Indiana, United States #1212022

Who does the heat treatments. What is the cost?

I don't know of anyone around here who heat treats.

I will never use Terminex again.

Greensburg, Indiana, United States #1212020

I used Terminex also, and I still have bugs. They did not even care.

I kept asking the guy from Terminex what do I do next and he never did tell me. I spent 2400 and $1000 of it was for termites that I did not have. The rest of the money was for bed bugs. I still have them.

I will never use them again.

They would not honor it.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States #1204165

FYI the only thing that will get rid of bed bugs is HEAT TREATMENTS! Chemicals can make the problem worse!!

HEAT!

They heat your home to 150 degrees for hours! Only way...

Does anyone know about the one in southern California? My aunt is disabled and has been fighting with them for months now

I made the mistake of calling them 3 months ago about bedbugs and they still have yet to hey rid of them now they said they are going to charge me again because I broke my contract by buying new beds for my kids and putting their mattress covers on them which I put them on the new mattresses because they said that those special mattress covers will protect the mattress and if any bedbugs would have gotten on the mattress while being brought in the house it will suffocate them. But they said since I used those covers on a new mattress they will no longer guarantee anything

NEVER EVER go with a first bid. That is total BS that they lay 200 eggs a day.

get on the internet and research bedbugs before contacting ANY svc company. That way YOU know the facts before Crapinex tries to tell you lies.

Thay CAN survive up to 550 days without feeding. Terminex is very high pressure and they do not have a good history,

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States #1078971

That's because terminix/crapinex is a horrible company. If you put that charge on your c/c, then contact your bank and have the charge reversed.

Contact your bank anyway to see about getting the charge or check redeposited in your account because of their fraud. Take em to court as well. It is only 20 bucks to file a civil/small claims lawsuit against them. When u get your judgement against them, THEY will have to pay YOU for your legal fees.

DO NOT let them walk all over you. They ARE getting away with it because not enough people stand up to them. Better to never go with a national chain. Go local and then u can deal with the owner at anytime.

Screw the middleman. Call the ceo ot Crapinex at be a thorn in his side until it is resolved, AND go to the media as well.

TV stations all have those undercover ripoff reports on their news, and on the internet as well on the tv station websites. Do it today.

I had same issues with Terminix. It took us 37 days and 9 phone calls to get a follow-up service.

THANK YOU ALL for posting all this.

I almost signed a contract with Terminix because of the same bad luck (bedbugs - UUGGH!); the inspector (providing the advertized free inspection) was very pushy and pressured me to sign up ($1200 for 2 floors) on the spot ("would you walk away from a fire?

- You know these bugs lay 200 eggs at once that all hatch?" "I know every pest control service around here [yeah right - there are close to 100 in this urban area] and if you call them and come back to me I will raise the price by $200 because they will quote at least $ 500 more than I do.").

I told him I made it a point never to sign up for anything on the spot (let alone for such $$$) and wanted to read up on this first. (Their warranty is only 90 days - which do go by fast! Wouldn't anyone want to do some research before signing up for something which technically could be $1200 multiple times?

After reading everything you all posted, I am really glad I didn't sign up.

I ended up signing up with a Co.

that had great reviews on yelp and that offered $550 (including $150 for a thorough inspection) for the one floor that is slept in (leaving out the unslept floor). Am keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks again for posting this (which comes up on google when someone trying to find out about Terminix's customers' testimonials does a search)!

Elmore, Alabama, United States #637357

I have been dealing with Terminex since Sept to get rid of bed bugs! When I signed up for the $2000 contract for our "minimal" infestion that they would have no problem getting rid of, in their own words, I was made to believe that the contract was valid until 90 days after the last *** or last bug was seen. NO! It's 90 days no matter what! No guarantee even though they say so. Waste your money if you want to :upset because they will not fix your problem! They come when they want and do not keep a consistent schedule. In and out in 5 minutes flat! But you have to leave home for four hours. Spends tons bagging, drying on high washing on hot and drying again on high making some things so they will never be used again. Bagging and unbagging toys! Steam cleaning furniture and carpet for them to do absolutely nothing!

When you call they don't answer the cells they give you. They don't return messages. When you call the office, they are lost to the situation. The manager told me that if I wanted to talk about another contract they could give me another quote and set up a new one! ust be crazy or think I am!!

I reported them and they responded that I was not cooperating. Then they called and said they would retreat. We set up a time for 10am and the tech showed up at 8:30 and later said we refused service! We have small kids that we were just getting up out of bed on tht Sat morning!

This type of thing has gone on and on. The final word being, they lie and they cheat.

LEAVE THEM ALONE! TRY ORKIN OR SOMETHING ELSE!!!

Our kids are allergic ao I don't know what to do at this point!!!! They accused us of bringing them in constantly but that is asoultely NOT true!!

If anyone has any ideas-PLEASE share them with this devastated mommy!!!!!!!! :sigh :cry :( :x :upset

One more thing, I rated this as *** but not on purpose.

Wildwood, Florida, United States #415196

Also beware of their lawn & tree care company "TruGreen". The have the same slimy business practices of just SELL SELL SELL.

And also *** *** *** services! :eek :p

Your first clue should have been that it took NINE times to reach them...Do yourself a favor, and stay local. The "little man" prides themselves on their service really does appreciate your business...His reputation and living depends on it, and I can gaurantee that it wouldnt take 9 times to reach the owner!

Best wishes...p.s. There is a reason why Servicemaster is really called Service Theeee MAster.

DO NOT GO WITH TERMINEX//CHEMICAL TREATMENT FOR BEDBUGS

1.6K and 3 months later, the bedbug problem in my 4-plex is still there.

I signed up for a 1.6K contract to treat all units and common areas. The treatment was performed over a period of 1 month.

I tried to monitor the treatment personally - but with the precautions related to chemical sprays, I was advised to remain outside.

The bedbugs did disappear for a month. Unfortunately, it was past the guarantee period by the time the residents started reporting bugs again.

One other possible issue is with the chemical treatment approach. It seems like the chemical treatment process is flawed. It requires lot of tenant participation to run clothing through dryer cycles, etc. But the tenant's committment is not going to be the same as the owner's committment.

Anyway, net result=1.6K down the drain. Don't even bother with this approach unless it is your own house and you have the ability to take 100% care of details.

Now I'll have to look at alternatives - possibly HEAT Treatment - at least the tenants won't have to do anything.

Will share status on how that goes...

Maria:

I'm glad you are happy with Terminix, but I am happy I'm not there anymore. While being told that I was a great teachnician, I was fired for not selling enough.

My customers rec'd only the best from me, and I did manage to sell. As far as wanting the job back, I don't believe I could be paid enough to entice me to return to this company. I felt like a filthy used car-salesman constantly trying to sell overpriced products/services. SELL SELL SELL.

"A monkey can be a pest tech, we need salepeople" was told to me on more than one occasion.

Now that's a real professional statement. Thanks, but no thanks.

I work for terminix and I can say that if you have an issue with terminix just call and request to have a manager call you back I have worked there for years and all of the managers I have worked with have tried to o right by the customer, if you fell you are getting a raw deal let them know. If you listedn to old employees keep in mind that they are old employees and are upset and will say what ever just to hurt the company that let them go.

From my experience I have never seen a tech let go that was doing his job. Further more if they do let someone go due to come back ill bet any money they call him first when another position opens up. I bet you any money he would jump at the chance to take the job back. Don't believe all the things you hear, judge for your self.

I have all my family with Terminix. I would not have them treated by a company i thought was trying to gouge them.

I was "let go" from Terminix a few months ago simply because I didn't sell enough. My customers loved me, never rec'd any complaints, always completed my route 95% or greater, and collected well each month. But because I didn't sell 2-3000$ worth of overpriced and oftentimes totally unnecessary products and/or services every month they had to let me go. While I did in fact sell (usually at least 500 -1000$/month but sometimes well over the 2000$/month "goal"), my numbers apparently weren't good enough. Trust me, you are far better off with a locally owned pest company that doesn't offer all the other products/services and force their service techs to sell. Or better yet, go to doityourselfpestcontrol.com and you can get the exact same products that I used as a tech.

Do the math: On average, the yearly cost for pest control with Terminix is $300.00 (75$ every 3 months). Go to doit yourselfpestcontrol.com and spend 50-100$ and you will have enough product to last you 2 - 3 years.

terminix pest control for 3 years =$900.00

doityourselfpestcontrol.com for 3 years = $50-100.00

And if you do go with Terminix, pray that your service tech (pmp) actually gives enough of a rat's *** to provide a good service, because believe me, plenty of them do not. Just a little information and common sense is all anyone needs to take care of their pest problem. There are plenty of avenues one can use to gain necessary info to treat their home correctly, without having to pay dearly.

Obviously I'm not happy with the way I was let go, but the above points reflect the way I've felt for quite some time. I was with the company over two years, and I developed a lot of good relationships with many of my customers. I can honestly say that I treated my customers the way I would expect to be treated, and tried to treat their homes like each was my own. In the two + years I was there, I did see a lot of questionable ethics. And nearly all of these situations revolved around money. Sell, Sell, Sell!! was the mantra.

Do yourself a favor, think twice about dealing with the big companies. Like every other large corporation, it's all about the almighty dollar.